Antrim County, Michigan Genealogy
Antrim County, Michigan ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you you trace your Antrim Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by creating a Free Family Tree.
Antrim County Quick Facts
- Government Website: www.antrimcounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1 1840 (Organized on March 11 1863) from Mackinac County (was originally called Messgisee County until name was changed 8 March 1843)
- County Seat: Bellaire
- Named After: County Antrim Ireland
- Bordering Counties: Charlevoix County (north), Otsego County (east), Kalkaska County (south), Grand Traverse County (southwest)
- Incorporated Cities & Villages: Bellaire, Central Lake, Elk Rapids, Ellsworth, Mancelona
- Townships: Banks, Central Lake, Chestonia, Custer, Echo, Elk Rapids, Forest Home, Helena, Jordan, Kearney, Mancelona, Milton, Star, Torch Lake, Warner
Antrim County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Antrim County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Michigan Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Michigan State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Elk Rapids Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 2, Elk Rapids 49629
- Grand Traverse Area Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 2015, Traverse City, MI 49685-2015
- Mancelona Area Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 517, Mancelona 49659
- Mancelona Historical Society, P.O. Box 103, Mancelona, 49659 Phone: (231) 587-0503 Phone: (231) 331-6236
- Bellaire Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 1016, 202 North Bridge Street, Bellaire, MI 49615; (231) 533-8631
- Mancelona Area Genealogy Society, 9826 South Front Street, Mancelona, MI 49659; 231-587-9687
- Antrim County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Antrim County
- Antrim County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Antrim County
- USGenWeb Archives for Antrim County (usgwarchives.net)
Antrim County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the importance of Antrim County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in Michigan courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the hopes and dreams and worries of countless Michigan citizens.
The chances are very good that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least several elements of their lives in the Antrim County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will guide persons in locating the resources, but it's up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The following specifics indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, property, probate, and legal records are in Antrim County. The dates pointed out below are considered the first known records with this county.
Some early records prior to organization on March 11 1863 may be located in Grand Traverse County
- Antrim County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 203 E. Cayuga Bellaire MI 49615
- Antrim County Clerk is responsible for keeping records of births, deaths, assumed names, co-partnerships, issuing and filing marriage licenses, gun permits, notary bonds and processing passports. The date listed for each category of record is the earliest record known to exist in that county. It does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and certainly does not indicate that all such events that year were actually registered. Antrim County Clerk Information for Genealogists
- Phone: 231-533-6353
- Births & Deaths: 1866
- Marriage Records: 1866
- Antrim County Register of Deeds is the official recording officer for all legal documents pertaining to the transfers and encumbrances of all real estate property within the County. The Register also provides permanent storage for approved original subdivision plats, condominiums, land surveys and section corners.
- Phone: (231) 533-6683
- Land Records: 1867
- Antrim County Clerk of the Probate Court responsibilities include adjudicating and disposes of cases involving property of persons who have died or become incompetent, interprets wills and trusts, commits the mentally ill when necessary and appoints guardians and conservators for minors, incapacitated individuals and individuals with developmental disability.
- Phone: (231) 533-6681
- Probate Records: 1863
- Antrim County Clerk of the Circuit Court provides a variety of functions for the court such as, but not limited to: filing and maintaing the official record for all cases that come before the court; providing staff to assist in the operation of the court; working with the Jury Commission and notifying all potential jurors to appear for jury duty; and, processing felony criminal cases bound over from the District Court.
- Phone: (231) 533-6353
- Court Records: 1867
- Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michiganfor current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Antrim County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Antrim County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to provide your own most liked Antrim County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Antrim Co. MI Books, Newspapers & Publications
Antrim Co. MI Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Antrim Co. MI Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Antrim Co. MI Census Records
Antrim Co. MI Cemeteries & Graveyards
Antrim Co. MI Church & Bible Records
Antrim Co. MI Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Antrim Co. MI General and History Websites
Antrim Co. MI Immigration & Naturalization
Antrim Co. MI Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Antrim Co. MI Military Records
Antrim Co. MI Schools & Directories